Longtime Cedar Rapids area historian Mark Stoffer Hunter will present highlights of the established and ongoing history of the significant developments in manufacturing that molded and shaped the very core of what Cedar Rapids, Iowa has been and continues to be. Mark’s presentation will include a look at:
- Early pre-railroad endeavors from 1840-1859, including Cedar River mills and a brewery.
- The railroad’s impact and beginning of CR manufacturing industry: Sinclair and Douglas.
- The Cedar Rapids standard: The continuing innovation of new manufacturing in Cedar Rapids 1880-1900.
- Great Expansion and diversity of industry options 1900-1920.
- Technology and national changes in 1920-1940: Collins and Hall – Manufacturing in CR during World War II.
- Expansion Continues: 1950-1980 CR a continuing world leader in manufacturing.
- 1980-2007: Meeting challenges head-on and providing a pattern of resilience.
- 2008 to today: Creative approaches post flood recovery and newer economic challenges.
Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019 from 5:30-7pm
Join us for a social preceding the presentation from 5-5:30pm
At NewBo City Market, 1100 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401